The motoring offences we can assist with are:

Speeding offences –Speeding is one of the most common offences committed by individuals. This is mainly due to the increasing number of speed cameras and varying speed limits imposed across the country. If you have been accused of speeding but do not believe that you were in fact speeding, it is imperative that you make contact with our Speeding Solicitors for a free consultation

Driving under the influence of drugs – it illegal to drive or be in charge of a motor vehicle having taken a specified controlled drug, the concentration of which is above the legal prescribed limit in blood.

Failure to provide a specimen – if you fail without reasonable excuse to provide a specimen of blood, urine or breath for analysis when requested to do so at the police station then you may be guilty of an offence of failure to provide specimen for analysis. This is an offence under s7(6) and s7A of the Road Traffic Act 1988.

Driving without due care and attention – This means that the Police are suggesting that on a specific occasion, the standard of your driving fell below that of a reasonable and prudent driver.

Failure to provide documentation – Failing to produce driving documents to the police is an offence that may seem fairly innocuous but can bring with it a maximum fine of £5,000 and eight points on a driving licence. Examples of the types of documents that you may be required to present to the police include:

  • Driving licence
  • Proof of insurance
  • MOT certificate

Failure to stop at the scene of an accident – The penalties for failing to stop following an accident or collision (often called hit and run) are significant. You face 5 – 10 penalty points on your licence and a prison sentence of up to 6 months.

  • Defective vehicles – A vehicle can be classed as dangerous or defective due to issues with its tyres, lights and brakes etc. Drivers are often offered the opportunity to take part in the Vehicle Defect Rectification Scheme rather than face prosecution for some minor dangerous vehicle offences.

Driving under the influence of alcohol – it is an offence under s4 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 to drive or attempt to drive a motor vehicle on a road or public place after consuming so much alcohol that the proportion of it in breath, blood or urine exceeds the prescribed limit. If you have been charged with Drink Driving, the prosecution will need to prove that at the time of you driving your vehicle you had excess alcohol in your breath, blood or urine. The legal limits for Drink Driving are as follows:

  • 35 micrograms of alcohol in 100ml of breath
  • 80mg of alcohol in 100ml of blood
  • 107mg of alcohol in 100ml of urine

Dangerous/careless driving – Dangerous Driving is one of the most serious Motoring offences and because of this, anybody who is being prosecuted for this offence faces the possibility of a prison sentence. We advise you to contact us immediately to have the best chance of a lesser sentence.

Failure to comply with road signs – this includes ignoring road signs, going through red traffic lights and going down a one-way street. If found guilty, this could lead to 3 penalty points and a fine of up to £1000.

Using a mobile phone whilst driving – It is an offence to use a mobile phone whilst driving, even if the vehicle is stationary and the engine is running.

Driving with no insurance – Section 143 of The Road Traffic Act 1988, makes it an offence to use, cause or permit to be used a motor vehicle on a road or other public place when there is not in force a policy of insurance.

Driving whilst disqualified – Driving whilst disqualified is a strict liability offence. This means that there are no defences, unless you can prove that you were not in fact subject to a disqualification or that it was not you who was the driver of the vehicle.

Appeal for driving bans and disqualifications – If you have been banned from driving you can apply to the court to remove the ban early. If the ban is for less than 4 years you can make the application after 2.If the ban is for between 4 years and 10 years you can make the application after you have served half of the driving ban.In any other case you can make the application after you have served 5 years of the driving ban.

Estimated time frame

Generally, the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) have 6 months from the date of the offence in which to issue proceedings, although some further time can elapse before you receive a summons. For further guidance, please visit the CPS website.